Do you love Miso? Do you love coconut delicious sauces? This recipe is so healthy and so delicious. We made it and put over our " Little parcels of joy" and we also use this base for many sauces.
Miso is just such a great ingredient to work with. Its so diverse and we use it often in replacement for any kind of stock. Add in some spices, garlic, chilli, herbs and your own favourite flavours and you will create a delicious and nourishing meal.
Why I love miso so much is because it keeps my gut healthy. Its a prebiotic in one of the best ways, Its also salty and full of minerals. Miso is easy to make and takes between one and three years before you eat it. In Japan they traditionally wait two to three years.
How to make miso.
1. Soak 1 kg soy beans over night and then boil them. when really soft strain off the excess water.
2. Blend them up until a thick paste is formed.
3. add 1kg rice" koji " to ferment. . It can be brown, red or white. Your choice. Look up a recipe to make koji, or try to get some from someone who makes it. Basically its rice or other grains that have been cooked and then held at a steady temperature for 36 to 72 hours. You can use a rice cooker to hold the rice hot for this time frame. You want it to start its own fermentation process. Or what we sometimes do is to cook the rice and stir in 1 tablespoon brewers nutritional yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar... keep in the rice cooker at low temp overnight and then add it to the other ingredients. That usually works....
3. Mix the rice and soy beans together and stir well.
4. Now add in 1 kg of salt.... yes thats right, we are equal parts rice, soy and salt in this recipe.
5. You would traditionally use a clay urn... ( you can use glass and then wrap a clothe around it to keep it dark) fill up with this mixture and put aside for one to three years... Yes the best miso is three years old or older.... .
I love to use good quality miso paste and the ones we make at home are easy and super cheap, plus delish. If you cant be bothered waiting three years to make my next recipe... Then buy some in the local food co op...
This is our white miso paste. Totally delicious and ready to use as the base of our sauce.
RECIPE FOR MISO COCONUT SAUCE.
Fusion foods again....
1. Take your heavy frying pan and put on heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon of either butter or coconut oil. Add in 2 cloves of garlic peeled and diced. Allow to simmer for . a few minutes. This is the time to add in any extra herbs and spices to create your own unique sauce.
2. Add in 1 tablespoon of gluten free plain flour. Stir in with the oil and garlic. Turn the heat down to med/low.
3. Once its crackling away add in 1 cup of miso paste that has been blended with 300ml of either green ginger wine or sake... If you want alcohol free then add in 300ml of vegetable liquid stock. and stir all together. this will form a thick sauce base. Use a whisk to avoid creating lumps.... and have your pan medium to low in temp... Don't rush the process.
4. Now add your coconut cream. 400ml and keep stiring the sauce. making sure you mix well.
Easy peasy... this sauce is so good and we love it so much... many variations..
Once again my ebook The Magic of Food as medicine is the source of this inspiration.
We would love to connect with you about our services, products and events.
Our next Long Table wellness day is on November 18th on Summertime wellness.
We have our medicineroom new brand launch and festive party on December 7th in Maleny. Details in the events section on our web site. This is a free event with music by Lee Hardisty, delish canopes made by us for you.... herbal elixirs and teas... book online...
phone us 0409765033
Our facebook pages are Dominique Livkamal and Medicineroom http://www.facebook.com/dominiquelivkamal
On instagram we are medicine_room
Check out our awesome herbal skin balms, oils and nectars online. We love making these for you and if you are out and about we will be at Eumundi Markets on Saturday.
You can buy my body products at Maple Street Co op Maleny. New Earth Cafe Coolum, Kunara Foods Sunshine Coast. Bliss you massage Caloundra, Brunswick heads health foods, Happy Herbs Alice Springs. If you want to be a stockist, call us or email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us share our little pots of happiness with you. !
We are also offering our Herbal Body Therapy and naturopathic clinics in Caloundra please see our consultations section of the web site for details.
Have a great day
Love and light Dominique Livkamal
MHlth public health/health promotion Bch Hlth Sc/ Complimentary medicine ND, Nutritionist, herbalist . Adv Dip Nat. Dip Journ. Kundalini yoga teacher, Zen Thai Shiatsu, student of life and wellness advocate. Founder Medicineroom. High vibes on the mountain, herbal first aid services and programmer for Woodford Folk Festival…. always working with love, gratefulness, light and through the divine grace!